LENT 2014 at St. James UMC
“A Portrait of Christ”
- ASH WEDNESDAY: On Wednesday, March 5th, we will have a pancake supper prepared by our United Methodist Men from 5:30 to 6:45 in Carson Hall, followed by our Ash Wednesday worship service, including imposition of ashes. All are invited to worship together as we begin the holy season of Lent. This year, our Lenten theme is Portraits of Christ. A nursery will be provided for children too young to remain in the Sanctuary.
- Holy Communion will be observed on March 9 in all three morning services and on April 6 in traditional worship.
- Communion will also be served every Wednesday evening during Lent, beginning on March 12. Meditation services led by several clergy and lay leaders will start at 6:00 pm in White Chapel and last about 30 minutes.
- On April 13, each of the three morning worship services will offer a unique musical interpretation of the majesty of Palm Sunday and the Passion of Christ. Sunrise Singers will provide music at 8:30, the Common Thread band will lead worship at 9:45, and the Sanctuary Choir and a chamber orchestra will present “The Seven Last Days” by Joel Raney at 11:00.
- Maundy Thursday worship and Holy Communion will be celebrated on Thursday, April 17, at 7:30 pm with the congregation at Trinity Presbyterian Church.
- On Good Friday, April 18, “Stations of the Cross” tours will be guided around locations at St. James. This year’s event will include new features and more music.
- Triumphant Easter Sunday morning worship will begin at 7:00 am on April 20 in White Chapel, followed by breakfast in Carson Hall, Common Thread worship at 9:45 am in Carson Hall, and 11:00 worship in the sanctuary featuring guest musicians.